Author Topic: Kickstarter campaign  (Read 3975 times)

Jan Theysen (KING Art)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Kickstarter campaign
« on: 2013-03-10 20:25:49 »
Kickstarter is a great opportunity for developers. Together with fans they can realize projects, which can’t be accomplished in conventional ways.

But there is a problem: Kickstarter’s popularity leads to more and more new game campaigns almost daily. Many of us have probably backed countless projects, without to ever receive a single finished game till today. A few months ago people were more eager to fund new projects, but it has become increasingly harder to attract attention for a good project.

In short: A developer can afford fewer mistakes nowadays than he could a few years ago. That’s why we would like to know: What does a successful Kickstarter have to look like to gain your support?

• What info is most important to you in the video and on the website?
  • Which rewards are most interesting to you?
  • What do you want to read about in updates? Which topics do you want us to cover and how frequently would you like to read updates?
  • What do you consider „Deal Breakers“, respectively what do you consider must-haves fort he campaign and the game?

The video and website have progressed pretty far already. But we can and will develop adjustments if any issues should arise, e.g. if you point out something we forgot or if we misjudged your expectations.

NineZeroD

• View Profile
Re: Kickstarter campaign
« Reply #1 on: 2013-03-10 21:17:10 »
Well, a good video always helps guys, but I think the biggest thing will always be the game. I love a bit of comedy in the video, like what was done with double finn, you guys should also notice that leisure suit Larry copied double finn and also did really well. If you notice even indie games are getting funding on there. I am happy you are finally listening to a suggestion a certain someone who I forgot the name of made a long time ago ;) I mean I noticed in the pick it seemed to be a game based in the wilderness. Do you guys maybe want ideas for the video?

NineZeroD

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2013-03-10 21:18:41 »
Ohhhh and offer a variety of options. And have people be a part of the beta that pre order, do a forum for feedback on stuff you post. Some people like to feel like they are making the game with you.

Jan Theysen (KING Art)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2013-03-11 11:33:15 »
And have people be a part of the beta that pre order, do a forum for feedback on stuff you post. Some people like to feel like they are making the game with you.

Yes, that's our plan. Backers will get access to beta-versions and - based on the pledge level - even to alpha-versions. And we will discuss the development here in our forum.

Space Voyager

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2013-03-13 22:25:26 »
In short, this would be what has persuaded me in the past (beside playing that type of games at all);

Regular short updates with new and new content revealed,
a relatively cheap (20€ or less) support tier that gives you a digital dll version of the game,
ability to add the game to Steam (not that I like Steam, but remembering the dll link for every game I own is difficult - and I don't have that many!),
a working prototype,
(video) presentation of gameplay,
stretch goals (shows your vision for further development),
previous games,

Well, this so far.

Anyway, greeting from StrategyCore. We wish you all the best.

Colin Gilzean (KING Art)

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2013-03-15 18:34:24 »
Welcome to the our forum Space Voyager and thanks a lot for you thought.  We'll try our best to feed our comminty with as much details and information as possible.

Stick around and feel free to feed us more of your insights.
Do or do not... there is no try

Colin Gilzean (KING Art)

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2013-03-15 19:44:49 »
Good evening everyone,

I've got some great news for all of you. Finally I can reveal more about our game and it's Kickstarter-campagin!

As some allready correctly assumed, its Battle Worlds: Kronos and the kick-off on Kickstarter will be next tuesady (19th of March 2013)!!!
We'll post the link to the campaign as soon as possible for those who are interested.

We alsp have created a Facebook page for Battle Worlds: Kronos Come by and check it out, like it and share our news if think its worth sharing.

http://www.facebook.com/BattleWorldsKronos

Till then - Stay tuned!

Here is some candy:

Moderator EDIT: Attachments deleted due to storage problems
« Last Edit: 2014-09-09 15:56:08 by Rentier »
Do or do not... there is no try

Athelas Loraiel

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2013-03-26 22:57:05 »
ŽHow is kickstarting going?
Have you decided to offer steam support for backers who ask for it?

Im definitely waiting for that.

PurpleXVI

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2013-03-29 16:26:23 »
"Must-haves" for me would be digital downloads, and it really helps if it's over Steam, that's much easier than having to manage a dozen download services. I don't mind Steam as a DRM service since it's relatively unobtrusive. GOG is also fine.

Personally what attracts me is generally if the developers focus on the actual game and seem to have passion for it, knowing what they're doing, having an idea of what kind of games heritage to tap(name-dropping Battle Isle instantly got my attention...) and talking about actual game mechanics in concrete terms. The moment the conversation about the game turns to buzzwords, good God I'm out of there faster than you can say my name. Anyone can say they want an "engrossing story" or "exciting mechanics," but if they're not giving actual examples of it, that's all just a scam to me.

Part of this? Show me the game. Don't show me CGI trailers or the developers' faces, show me the game. Show me whatever ultra-early alpha you've got, let me hear a bit of the soundtrack. This is the sort of thing that gets my confidence.

I think the biggest deal-breaker for me, on other videogame Kickstarters has been "celebrity" involvement. The Torment reboot/sequel/revive, Numenera, apparently tried to ride on Monte Cook's coat-tails and, no, I don't like that man or anything he does, so for me, their trying to use his name to get somewhere just makes my bile rise and was what made me have no interest in that(plus their buzzword-storm). Another one I backed out of backing was Portalarium's new Ultima-ish game(Garriott being behind it) when they decided to recruit Tracy Hickman. Obviously he was recruited for his wide resume, but again, he's someone who is, to me, all hype and his writing his terrible. From a business perspective both of those moves are going to invite a lot of fanboys, but from a quality perspective, I consider neither Cook or Hickman to have anything to add.

Updates should ideally always be about the game. Tell us about your vision and ideas as they get narrowed down and nailed down, feel free to tell us about any troubles you're having, any compromises you had to make. I'd rather hear both the good and the bad, rather than just some shiny, polished PR campaign that makes me wonder what I'm not being told.

The rewards I consider most interesting are always soundtracks, I love good music, beta access and alpha access also rank very high since I love "being in on the ground floor," and at a distant third to that would be concept art, which is interesting but has less staying power than music. I rarely find myself attracted to titles or in-game content, but if I have the spare money I'll always go for the higher reward tiers if I really like a project, even without further incentives.

Rouzz

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2013-04-02 08:13:56 »
I'll try to respond point by point.

For the video, one of the best i've seen on Kickstarter was Planetary annihilation (sorry i'm not allowed to post a link to it). Fun, a lot of enthusiasm, etc... And there is everything we could want to know about the game.

As for the reward, I really enjoy beta access, multiple key of the game to share with friends and DRM-free downloads. Not that I really want to give the game to everyone I know for free, but I feel kickstarter + DRM looks greedy.

I've been a gamer for years and I'm also a developer. So I like to have some technical stuff once in a while in the updates. To understand more the way you're building your game, the choices you make, the difficulties you can have working on it, etc...

Just give me a challenging game, and I'll be happy. :)
« Last Edit: 2013-04-02 15:38:58 by Rouzz »

Athelas Loraiel

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2013-04-06 16:40:52 »
Keys for steam for 4-packs for 65$

viralsiel

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2013-04-28 14:09:02 »
Good kickstarter has tohave some demo of the game and maybe a reference of what they want to do for a good explanation, but most importent in game video of the first build and a good one at that, I support this project with my money because I see it and what it could be and multiplayer :D

ripperjim

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2013-04-28 23:24:22 »
Can't wait for the game.  I have no doubt you'll create a top-notch product.

Jim
Kickstarter Supporter