Author Topic: Strange Crash - Cannot continue  (Read 2482 times)

FranticDescent

• View Profile
Strange Crash - Cannot continue
« on: 2013-05-17 17:11:25 »
Hi!

First of all would just like to say I'm a newcomer to the games and very much a fan already. The first one really brought back memories of playing through the good old Grim/MI games.

However, starting to play through the Critter Chronicles I've come to a point where the game crashes out and I can't continue any further.

To avoid spoilers, I will be as vague as possible with the actions with enough info to (hopefully) let you know where I am.

It is during Chapter 2 (presuming near the end) where you have to set a number of different items together to free someone. Basically once all the items are in place and I move to hide, the game crashes out. I've tried many different ways of putting it all together (I'm confident I have everything together as needed) but it always results in the crash.

Really frustrating as enjoying the game so far but can't get past it!

Should probably add it's being run on Win8 through Steam.

At0mik

• View Profile
Re: Strange Crash - Cannot continue
« Reply #1 on: 2013-06-25 19:55:51 »
I confirm this issue on windows 8 64 bit, GOG version.

AnthonyHJ

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2013-07-22 00:27:25 »
Another Windows 8 64-bit user with the GOG version. I have since upgraded to Windows 8.1 Preview and get the same bug. I've looked at the bout.log file and the last few lines might be useful...

00:15:11: OGRE EXCEPTION(4:ItemIdentityException): An object of type 'Entity' with name 'co_items_salzstreuer' already exists. in SceneManager::createMovableObject at ..\..\..\..\OgreMain\src\OgreSceneManager.cpp (line 6484)
00:15:43: D3D9 : Loading 2D Texture, image name : 'icon_items_salzstreuer.dds' with 5 mip map levels

AnthonyHJ

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2013-07-24 12:26:45 »
I contacted Technical Support (I emailed the support email-address from the sticky topic at the top of this forum) and sent them the files they asked for, but all they seemed able to do was send me a save game for Chapter 3 so I could continue playing.

tdknox

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2013-08-12 04:14:17 »
I also have this exact same problem playing on an iMac running OS X 10.8.4. Kinda frustrating, I can't continue. The game is fun, I'd like to keep playing.

AnthonyHJ

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2013-08-12 10:48:19 »
I contacted tech support (emailed support@nordicgames.at [nofollow] like the sticky in this forum suggested) and they asked some questions, got me to try a few things and finally emailed me a save-game for the start of the next chapter. Whatever the bug is, it sounds like they are not sure why it happens or how to fix it.

On the plus-side, I haven't seen that message again and have made a fair amount of progress, so I am hopeful it's just a one-off...

Ogischer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2015-01-04 15:26:46 »
I just came across that same error. As you said it seems to be Windows 8 related and can be fixed easily by starting CritterCronicles.exe in Windows 7 compatibility mode.
Just right click the file -> properties -> compatibility -> check box "Run this programm in compatibility mode for...", select Windows 7. If you've got the steam version as I do and don't know where to find the CritterCronicles.exe, there's an easy way to find it: in steam right click the game -> properties -> local files -> browse local files...