Geheimnis

Author Topic: Linux Feedback Thread  (Read 20223 times)

Thorben

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Linux Feedback Thread
« on: 2013-08-09 08:53:20 »
Hello.

The first beta versions of Battle Worlds: Kronos have been released!

Please tell us what you like or dislike.
If you find a bug, please try to reproduce it and post it afterwards here, including a description how to reproduce the bug.

Have fun
Thorben
« Last Edit: 2013-09-14 09:14:39 by abergmeier »

abergmeier

• View Profile
Re: Linux Feedback Thread
« Reply #1 on: 2013-08-09 09:57:08 »
As one of the guys who bring you Battle Worlds' Linux version I would like to point out a few things.
FAQ:

• Why Ubuntu?
    Ubuntu is the (most popular/user friendly/known) Linux distribution out there. Since our company name has more than 2 letters, we do not have the necessary resources to provide packages for every distribution.
    So we primarily test with Ubuntu, but will try to help you getting set up on other distributions, too.
  • Why only the latest (13.04) version of Ubuntu?
    First off, there is no decision yet about what version of Ubuntu will be "required".
    If you have followed the Linux news, there was a lot of improvement in recent times to graphic drivers. And since we want your gaming experience to be smooth we strongly recommend a recent driver.
    Also new user interfaces (e.g. Ubuntu Unity, Gnome Shell) degraded and sometimes still degrade 3D performance. So be sure to use a recent version for these as well, so your UI does not eat away your game framerate.
  • What can I do against graphical glitches/problems?
    When testing games we found Fglrx and Nouveau drivers to often have bugs (even with recent versions). Gallium (for ATI/AMD) and Nvidia drivers work much better in our experience. So we recommend you to try to change to these drivers, if you do not already use them.
    And of course report problems to us :)
  • What can I do against low framerates?
    We encountered framerate drops when using Ubuntu Unity and Gnome Shell. You might want to try using gnome-fallback when your framerates are unplayable.
  • Why are you using this/your auto-update mechanism?
    The problem with using Ubuntu's Software Center is that it is quite buggy. You cannot, for example, install packages greater than 2GB, which today is no size for game data (yes, we have games greater than that).
    Even when installing packages directly via dpkg, at around 6GB they stop working, too.
    Also the debian repository format is sadly too inflexible for us.
    And then there is the issue that we want one mechanism which works across all platforms and not having to reinvent the wheel for every platform.
    And installing to user directory means that every user can get the latest version without nagging a system sudo user.
    Our update/install mechanism works similar to Steam, without the bells and whistles and of course without DRM.

Non-Ubuntu Distributions:

• Why are you using an outdated quazip library?
    We do not. We use a recent (0.5.1) version (see http://sourceforge.net/projects/quazip/files/quazip/).
    You might get the impression that our version is outdated, because your distribution is not following the upstream numbering scheme (this way it reports version 1.x on e.g. Fedora).
  • Needed programs
  • Needed libraries
    • Qt Core 4.8.4
    • Qt Webkit
    • Qt GUI 4.8.4
    • Qt Networking 4.8.4

So for now please go ahead and give it a spin and tell us what you think.

Kind regards
Andreas
« Last Edit: 2013-09-16 09:49:38 by abergmeier »

Raptor 2101

• Global Moderator
  • blog.raptor2101.de
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2013-08-09 10:19:35 »
Some experience from testing...

• Why Ubuntu?
    Ubuntu is the (most popular/user friendly/known) Linux distribution out there. Since our company name has more than 2 letters, we do not have the necessary resources to provide packages for every distribution. So we primarily test with Ubuntu, but will try to help you getting set up on other distributions.
    unpack the rpm, fullifie the requirements (some libraries) and the game starts ... :)

• Why only the latest (13.04) version of Ubuntu?
      First off, there is no decision yet about what version of Ubuntu will be "required".
      If you have followed the Linux news, there was a lot of improvement in recent times to graphic drivers. And since we want your gaming experience to be smooth we strongly recommend a recent driver.
      Also new user interfaces (e.g. Ubuntu Unity, Gnome Shell) degraded and sometimes still degrade 3D performance. So be sure to use a recent version for these as well, so your UI does not eat away your game framerate.
    started the game successfully at (k)ubuntu 12.04 (but using ppas for newest KDE and Driver Sources)

• What can I do against low framerates?
      We encountered framerate drops when using Ubuntu Unity and Gnome Shell. You might want to try using gnome-fallback when your framerates are unplayable.
    Same FPS drop encountered on KDE 4.3. (Deteiled specs in the german thread)

So for now please go ahead and give it a spin and tell us what you think.

Is the auto-deployment finally or work in process? I understand you purpose while running on Window but on linux it's a little bit confusing to have an Installer-Pakage, who only installs a small installer, which actually installs the whole game into userdirectory.

As soon as i can login while using the linux version i will delete the wine-ones;)[/list][/list]
    « Last Edit: 2013-08-09 10:35:26 by Raptor 2101 »

abergmeier

• View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: 2013-08-09 10:38:49 »
    unpack the rpm, fullifie the requirements (some libraries) and the game starts ... :)
    You mean probably unpack the tar.gz :)

Is the auto-deployment finally or work in process? I understand you purpose while running on Window but on linux it's a little bit confusing to have an Installer-Pakage, who only installs a small installer, which actually installs the whole game into userdirectory.
    Added the answer to FAQ.

As soon as i can login while using the linux version i will delete the wine-ones;)
    We are looking into that...

abergmeier

• View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: 2013-08-09 10:41:14 »
    Maybe I should start then.

Tested on Mac Mini 2013/Ubuntu Gnome 13.04/Intel HD 4000 ->I get a constant frame rate of ~60fps.

Raptor 2101

• Global Moderator
    • blog.raptor2101.de
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: 2013-08-09 10:52:27 »
    • Why are you using this/your auto-update mechanism?
      The problem with using Ubuntu's Software Center is that it is quite buggy. You cannot, for example, install packages greater than 2GB, which today is no size for game data (yes, we have games greater than that).
      Also the debian repository format is sadly too inflexible for us.
      And then there is the issue that we want one mechanism which works across all platforms and not having to reinvent the wheel for every platform.
      And installing to user directory means that every user can get the latest version without nagging a system sudo user.
      Our update/install mechanism works similar to Steam, without the bells and whistles and of course without DRM.
    What the hack ... ok this is a killer-point ;)
    Can you give us a option through the initial install process, to relocate the binaries? Reason: On linux all static binaries are located on a SSD (wich will be loadid into the RAM at Startup)while the userdir is located on a normal HDD. Level-Loading normally doesn't bother me :D

regarding to the FPS: did you enabled 3D enhancements in the GnomeShell (Compiz)?

abergmeier

• View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: 2013-08-09 11:30:59 »
    Can you give us a option through the initial install process, to relocate the binaries? Reason: On linux all static binaries are located on a SSD (wich will be loadid into the RAM at Startup)while the userdir is located on a normal HDD. Level-Loading normally doesn't bother me :D
    I could add this to our wishlist. That said - you could just install the game, move the game folder to the SSD and create a symbol link onto that directory.
    It should work (we have not tested symbolic links, though ;))

regarding to the FPS: did you enabled 3D enhancements in the GnomeShell (Compiz)?
    Can you even run Compiz with Gnome Shell? AFAIK, it requires Mutter to do the compositing. So no :)

Feel free to post in any language section, as we all speak both languages.
    « Last Edit: 2013-08-09 14:02:38 by abergmeier »

Raptor 2101

• Global Moderator
    • blog.raptor2101.de
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: 2013-08-09 12:11:07 »
    I could add this to our wishlist. That said - you could just install the game, move the game folder to the SSD and create a symbol link onto that directory.
    It should work (we have not tested symbolic links, though ;))
    this is on my "to test"-List for this evening. Yesterday i simply try the game :) But I know lot of games have terrifying problems with symlink (don't know why).

Can you even run Compiz with Gnome Shell? AFAIK, it requires Mutter to do the compositing. So no :)

Don't know, i'am using kde. This evening i will try the game performance with different environment circumstances and will report the result.

PS: if i have a detailed result did you wan't to have these results in english or in german?
    « Last Edit: 2013-08-09 21:33:09 by Raptor 2101 »

Raptor 2101

• Global Moderator
    • blog.raptor2101.de
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: 2013-08-09 22:50:32 »
    ok i have some test-result for you:

first i tried a fresh/clean installed ubuntu 13.04 - got the same weak fps.
    installed procedure:
    • install ubuntu
    • apt-get upgrade/update to get latest packages
    • switch to x-swat-ppa to get the last stabel graphic drivers
    • install the game

after this i switched back and played around a little bit - and figured out the following:
    • Setup - "Water Quality" has the main performance impact. Even in the main screen. (max 50FPS with WQ to Refractive/150 with WQ to Simple) - ingame it makes the different from 20 to 60 FPS
    • AA doesn't work - no matter what i setup ingame, nothing happens. If i enforce FXAA  or  "8xMS,24xCS" AA works (via driver-settings) all works fine (see pictures).
    • the game seems to be a good cpu-burner - even in main-screen my CPU is at 45% CPU usage.
    • the FPS indicator seems to be unreliable. While beeing in main-screen it jumps between 80 till 160 fps. After entering a game it drops down to somewhat near 60 fps. After returning into the main screen, the fps stays at 60fps - nothing important to me (i'am normaly don't watch fps while playing) but could lead to some problem
    • some graphic options only adopted after a restart of the game

Running BWK trough wine even the AA works.

Using different Kernels, Compiz or plain xservers don't have any significant and sustained impact on the fps.

I can't escape the feeling that the FPS-Counter is calculated wrong. Event if i run the game at max (with full override through the driver) i'am stuck at 30 FPS. No matter what resolution i choose the fps stays the same. Even launching the game several times (and playing windows several windows) don't bother the FPS really ...

Hopefully this post helps you determine whats going on.

Ryvius

• View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: 2013-08-11 15:33:14 »
    Did linux users get an additional test map ?

It looks interesting.

Raptor 2101

• Global Moderator
    • blog.raptor2101.de
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: 2013-08-11 17:58:19 »
    I don't think this map will be restricted to linux users (except they use /dev/null as generation source :D)

Ryvius

• View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: 2013-08-12 19:20:58 »
    So linux version does currently have extra maps ?? or is this a developer testing funky things out ?

Hit me up for a private game if linux does, old maps are boring already =p

Raptor 2101

• Global Moderator
    • blog.raptor2101.de
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: 2013-08-12 20:27:03 »
    there is a extra map... but they are currently not very funny cause of Player one is scattered around and player two sits tide together
    « Last Edit: 2013-08-12 20:32:17 by Raptor 2101 »

Ryvius

• View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: 2013-08-12 21:05:23 »
    Hit me up for the underdog side then.  I like challenges. ^_^

On a side note, there's no HQ! lol

Raptor 2101

• Global Moderator
    • blog.raptor2101.de
      • View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: 2013-08-17 08:06:15 »
    The ne map releases via the linux alpha "capture the headquarter" seems to have a bug. I am unable to (as player 1) to reach the buttom of the map and player two are unable to move some units