Author Topic: Mac version: issues with fullscreen mode and FPS  (Read 25808 times)

clocknova

• View Profile
Mac version: issues with fullscreen mode and FPS
« on: 2013-10-29 22:17:12 »
In the latest beta, the game still has issues with fullscreen mode on Mac.  Moving the cursor to the top or bottom of the screen still activates the menu bar or the dock, and moving it into a corner still activates hot corners, all of which causes problems when trying to play the game, partucularly when trying to scroll around the map.  I know it is possible to disable these things, so someone should look into it.  For the moment, however, the game is unplayable in fullscreen mode.

Framerates are still an issue, with my FPS counter rarely exceeding 12 FPS.  For the record, I am on a relatively old Macbook Pro (2008, 2.5 GHz C2D, NVIDIA 8600M GT 512 MB) but no one has confirmed for me yet if my machine is below spec for the game, or if the Mac version is still that unoptimized.  Some feedback on the issue would be appreciated.

clocknova

• View Profile
Re: Mac version: issues with fullscreen mode and FPS
« Reply #1 on: 2013-11-02 22:11:45 »
Just updated to version 1.0.3.  The issues with fullscreen mode still remain, which means that scrolling the map with the mouse is impossible.  Can I get any feedback on this, please?

FPS issues are okay.  I get an average of 15 FPS on my machine, which is not great, but is playable.  I might just have to test the Windows version on my Mac via bootcamp, just to see if the Windows version runs faster, which I am told it does.  This would indicate a lack of optimization in the Mac version which I hope is going to be addressed.

Again, feedback would be appreciated.  I have received none as of yet.

clocknova

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2013-11-04 19:49:16 »
I'm holding out for the GOG version tomorrow.  Can anyone with the Mac version tell me if the fullscreen issues that I've noted are still present in the released version?  I've still never gotten any kind of feedback regarding this issue.

thither

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2013-11-05 07:19:22 »
I'm holding out for the GOG version tomorrow.  Can anyone with the Mac version tell me if the fullscreen issues that I've noted are still present in the released version?  I've still never gotten any kind of feedback regarding this issue.

I've just installed the (released) Steam version (on a Mid-2010 iMac, OS/X 10.9 Mavericks, lots of RAM) and I see some issues with fullscreen - in particular I keep popping in and out of it.  I think Mavericks changed some of the ways fullscreen is supposed to behave, so I'm not completely surprised, but it does make the game not very much fun to play.

I was seeing a bunch of framerate issues it my full resolution (2560x1440) but once I turned that down it seemed ok.  I'd surely enjoy a better framerate at full resolution, though.

palomuro

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2013-11-05 09:42:30 »
+1 to issues on mac (OS-X 10.9), running the release from steam:
 - in fullscreen, scrolling down doesn't work (does nothing)
 - moving the mouse to lower left corner pops you out of the game. I checked the hot corner settings, there is no action setup for that corner.
 - when right clicking (e.g. move or attack), the game gets into a scroll mode - when I move the mouse, the map scrolls and the cursor stays in the same place. I don't know how to get out of this mode and it makes the game unplayable.
 - I only get 2 resolutions to choose from - 1280x800 and 1440x900. This is on a Macbook Pro 2012 (retina). I would hope for more choices - if possible with retina support :).
 - I couldn't login in the game. since the password field doesn't support "paste", retrying many times is annoying. Still, might have been a typo or some such.

Performance seems fine, the first level is smooth.

hope for fixes soon, P.

clocknova

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2013-11-05 14:10:15 »
Thanks, guys.  I was beginning to feel like a ghost around here.  I got a note from the developers that said they're aware of the problem, so hopefully we'll see it resolved soon.  Shouldn't be too hard.

falsch

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2013-11-05 20:03:22 »
first: I tried to play on a mac mini with 2,7 Ghz i7, 8 GB RAM, SSD and AMD Radeon HD 6630M with 256 MB memory, but I can only play with low quality settings! :-(

funny, for me it works up, left and right, but if i move to the bottom edge of the screen the dock appears.

- when right clicking (e.g. move or attack), the game gets into a scroll mode - when I move the mouse, the map scrolls and the cursor stays in the same place. I don't know how to get out of this mode and it makes the game unplayable.

same issue here. a work-a-round is two right clicks on the unit, then the cursor will be free again.

another issue is, that it seems king art games is no identified apple developer, so it is necessary to turn of the security settings about this. it doesn't help just to say "start anyway"! :-(

i hope you fix this issues.

maybe it's the revenge, because i didn't tried the beta! :-)

palomuro

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2013-11-06 00:25:12 »

funny, for me it works up, left and right, but if i move to the bottom edge of the screen the dock appears.

that's exactly what I was trying to say :) -  I missed that the dock appears, since I have it on the right.

another issue is, that it seems king art games is no identified apple developer, so it is necessary to turn of the security settings about this. it doesn't help just to say "start anyway"! :-(
I think you can right-click on the app and select open, that should mark the app "trusted" and will work in the future. Or use the gog/steam version :)

falsch

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2013-11-06 11:20:08 »
I think you can right-click on the app and select open, that should mark the app "trusted" and will work in the future. Or use the gog/steam version :)

I tried in the system settings the "battle world kronos ... open anyway" option, but it didn't worked. I think it has something to do with Launcher which starts the App... (blog.trendmicro.com/trendlabs-security-intelligence/files/2013/10/gatekeeper5.png)

Some more issues I expirienced last night:
- music plays sometimes, most of the time there is no background music
- you can move the artillery with the maximum movement in a building and then you can move it in the same round out of the building. but the unit shouldn't have the ability to move anymore
- the activ unit detection has some issues. i.e. if you activate an artillery before moving, it still counts as an active unit, but you can't do anything with it, because it already used it's joker action and can't move!
- it would be really really wonderful if used units would be marked gray as in other games...

btw: the bug with the map sticks at the mouse arrow stopped after a few rounds.

I tried to close everything on my mac before playing bwk, but still the same problem: 30+ fps with low quality and around 3 fps with medium quality! :-(

falsch

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2013-11-06 11:22:04 »

that's exactly what I was trying to say :) -  I missed that the dock appears, since I have it on the right.

Good thing: you still can play, because scrolling with keyboard and with the mini map works. i know, it's just a work-a-round, but you can play! :-)

clocknova

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2013-11-06 20:55:02 »
I just downloaded the Windows version and installed it in a Wineskin wrapper in OS X 10.9.  The login error is not present.  Also, the framerates are higher.  Much higher.  In Wine.  Not Bootcamp.  The Windows version runs faster in OS X than the OS X version.

The scrolling error is mostly not present, but that's because Wine handles fullscreen mode differently than native apps.  Ironically, it should be easier to make a native app behave properly in fullscreen.

The Mac version obviously need a lot of patching and optimization.

error

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2013-11-07 17:19:17 »
I'm really glad that i checked the forum, since I knew that "mac" version are usually shitty port, expecially from indie dev. They have limited resource sure, but my opinion is that you should not promise or deliver something if you cant do it right. Also pretty sure that many have pledged during the kickstarter campaing planning to play it on a Mac, and now they are screwed for an undefined time.
So short story, thanks guys from the feedback you saved me some money, seems to me that the devs don't even bother to reply during the release, what a shame.

Renzatic

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2013-11-11 19:17:38 »
Looks like this is a problem effecting all the OpenGL people.

I'm in Linux, Ubuntu 12.04 to be exact, and the game is barely playable. It runs alright as long as I'm zoomed out, as in I'm in the direct overhead view you see right before it goes to the icon based hex mode. But if I zoom in even the tiniest bit from there, the framerate immediately drops from nice and smooth to a chunkity 5-10 FPS mess.

Kind of a shame, because I really wanted to play this. While the style and look are quite nice, there's nothing so graphically intensive about this game that it should run so badly, not while this very same machine has proven itself to be more than capable of running games like Dishonored, the Batman Arkham games, and Trine 2 on Linux.

Hopefully the devs don't keep us waiting too long for a fix. Right now, I don't even want to play past the tutorial, it's so bad.
« Last Edit: 2013-11-11 19:19:31 by Renzatic »

clocknova

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2013-11-11 19:41:19 »
Agreed.  I haven't been able to play at all since I got the beta.  And I haven't gotten a lot of feedback from the devs on this issue either.  Still, I'm willing to be patient.

Renzatic

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2013-11-11 21:07:54 »
Yeah, as long as it does eventually get fixed, and I'm not left hanging...like...months and months for it to happen, I'm pretty alright with it. I know that making games for multiple platforms is hard work, and I'm willing to accept that there will be times a game doesn't run perfectly for me the very moment it comes out. Provided work is being done, and they're trying their best to right some wrongs, I can deal with the wait, no problem.

On the bright side, I bought this together with Rogue Legacy, and I was having trouble deciding which one I should spend what limited amount of time I have with. Now? It's not such a hard choice to make. :P

edit: I turned every single effect off, and the game's now playable. It's not the smoothest framerate ever, I'd say I'm getting around 15-25 FPS, but it's better than what it was.
« Last Edit: 2013-11-11 22:10:51 by Renzatic »