Author Topic: What Great Fun!  (Read 2418 times)

Feuercat

• View Profile
What Great Fun!
« on: 2012-02-22 17:12:26 »
My first introduction to point-and-click adventuring was Myst, my second was Syberia.  I wasn't sure I could find a game that could top Syberia, but BOUT blows it away!  The graphics are so totally awesome, and the ability to fast transition (either with double-clicking or the map in the Wild Lands) was a great help.  I'm not sure just how funny you intended the game to be, but it was downright hilarious in places and I've never laughed so much in any other game I've played.  I don't think there was a reference you missed!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

There were for me (and the hubs) a couple of issues: I played the game on WinXP and there were a few times where the background animations got a bit out of control and made it very, very hard to control the mouse.  However, if I quit the game and came back in, it usually resolved.  The hubs and I both found the autohide of the inventory rather annoying when trying to interact with anything at the bottom of the screen.  The inventory would pop up at the most inopportune time and get in the way!

I am giving this game a 4.5 out of 5 only because the ending was so... so... abrupt? Unsatisfying? Something like that.  I think I would have liked to have extra play:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I know that would have made the game longer, but it would have been so much more satisfying! However, there was a hint of a possible sequel.  I certainly hope so!  If there is, I will be lining up to play!

Administrator (KING Art)

• Lord of the Word
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: What Great Fun!
« Reply #1 on: 2012-02-22 20:01:40 »
Thank you very much for the nice words and detailed feedback!  :)
We'll consider all feedback from players for future games.

We would love to make a sequel. In fact, there already is a prequel called "The Critter Chronicles", which tells the story how Nate and the Critter first met. We released it in Germany last October, but we don't have any detailed plan for the release of an English version. Because the translation and voice recordings are very expensive, we first need to sell more copies of the first game. So please spread the word about our game, write reviews on Amazon.co.uk and Metacritic.com. The better the first game sells, the sooner we can release "The Critter Chronicles" and start working on a sequel.

Feuercat

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2012-02-22 22:49:25 »
I just checked and I'm glad to see that you are on Facebook.  FWIW, I "shared" the page on my wall, but on the Facebook scale my friends level is low.  Still, I hope it helps.  Good luck!!

Administrator (KING Art)

• Lord of the Word
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2012-02-22 23:28:11 »
Every small bit helps, just as grains of sand add up to form a beach. :)
Thank you for your support!

Psyr

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2012-04-19 09:55:56 »
Hello there!

I didn't quite know where to post this, so I eventually chose this topic whose title sums up rather well my impressions about the game :)

I registered to the forum only to tell you how much I like the game, so that you can keep up the good work ;) I found it extremely funny, clever (even though not extremely difficult), just as any good point&click adventure game should be! I just loved all the little references, and thought that the text was extremely well written. Pure joy!
I've been really disappointed recently about other games by other studios I used to like (like Yesterday, the latest Pendulo game which was a real disappointment -too easy, to short with like 5/6 hours of game! And I used to LOVE Pendulo's games...), so I'm impressed and pleased that a small studio that tries to make a difference actually put so much care into their work!

This being said, I read some criticisms here and there (I don't remember where, somewhere on this forum) about people not being happy with such and such thing. This is what I would answer to some of these criticisms:

-some people complained about the potion and rain dance things. I have to say that I was a bit surprised to find such kinds of puzzles in the game, but I found them rather pleasant. It's actually nice when you have a game where you act more than you watch! These moments could have been shown in cutscenes, but I was happy to be able to play through them. And even If I hadan't liked it, it must be said that these moments are not that difficult to play, so they're not really game stoppers as I have read here and there. But if people don't like them, maybe for the next game you could have a system (as I've already seen in other games, like So Blonde for instance) to skip these moments if you don't want to play them, so that everybody's happy :)

-some other people complained about the fact that some of the useful elements are not immediately visible in the scenery. I can't understand that really, I find it so great! In games like this which are not particularly difficult (and not meant to be), If all the interactive elements are obvious, like jump out of the scene, what's the point? I find it great that you actually have to look carefully at the scene so that you don't miss an element, and actually have to think a bit to find the solution to a problem! It's the kind of game you don't want to rush into, so you have to observe! And then again, if you don't want to be bothered, you just have to hit the space bar to see all the interactive elements, so problem solved!

-I also read a complaint from people who said that at first they missed several things because they had not understood that you have to click twice on an element, once to observe, twice to pick up or use. But this is really well explained in the tutorial at the beginning of the game, with Ivo and McGuffin! In addition to that, I really love the fact that, when you've observed useless elements twice, there not clickable anymore. Little by little you can see what's interesting in the scene, and you're not completely lost with red herrings.

In conclusion, I would say again that I was extremely happy with this game (not speaking of the fact that the price is more than reasonable, and that if you buy the boxed version, a whole set of goodies comes along -it was a very nice surprise since it wasn't mentioned on amazon), and there was really everything I wanted in it: a good number of hours of fun, nice puzzles well designed, solutions to problems that are never too straightforward (you can never go from A to B without going through C, D, E, even F :p I just LOVE this), and it is all very well done (voices, images, music...).
So please, please! keep up the good work, and don't do as other studios tend to do, i.e. make short, super easy games with no soul to please a larger audience and displease the community of fans who just love good point&click adventure games!

Thank you for such a nice piece of work :)