Author Topic: Challenge Map: New Hellic City (Beta 1.1)  (Read 2647 times)

Sphere

• View Profile
Challenge Map: New Hellic City (Beta 1.1)
« on: 2015-03-02 12:06:19 »
The map can be found in the Custom Maps under Challenge. The version is 1.1. Please provide feedback and bug reports, even if you think it might be a bug. Also need feedback on the kill of the enemy aircraft carrier. I need to know how many turns is reasonable to go from taking the naval shipyard, to building boats, to destroying the aircraft carrier.

The concept of this map is, you gotta send up reinforcements to save a city in distress. The city is a fortress type city, with walls and turrets. It has it's own army too, with production facilities. The rumor is that the city has been working on a new weapon, which is also why the Empire has come down on the place hard.

There are a total of 3 stages to this map. The first stage is the fight to defend New Hellic City. The play duration of defending the city is 40 turns. These turns only start once you are assigned control over the city. You do not start the game defending the city, you have to first off get reinforcements there close enough to establish a connection. Once you are there, you will have to defend all 4 directions. The enemy has a setup to attack in waves, mostly using ground units, but later on brings in bombers from up North. This is why you have a Hurricane at your disposal, but should probably build more of those later from your factory. In stage 3, the enemy abuses aircraft to his fullest advantage. But in stage 1, probably 3 hurricanes max is all you will need; you start with 1. Stage 1 ends when New Hellic City is obliterated with strategic weapons of mass destruction.

Stage 2 is the fight for a tank factory. You will want to use what forces you saved from stage 1 to take the mines to the East, if not already done so, and then move up North to take the factory. A word of advice, tread lightly. The jerk loves land mines. :U

Stage 3 starts with the seal break on the bridge, followed by an enemy siege. He doesn't like that you took his factory. That's understandable. Expect ground and air attacks, not just from the bridge, but from the other side as well. The area should be possible to defend. Just make sure you don't let your foot troops die, nor any of your M.U.L.E. transport trucks. You can't replace them at this stage of the game. Actually you can't replace any transport trucks. You can get one more though from a Western depot in the farmland district. You could sneak over something to take the base, but be careful as there is a turret outside the warehouse. The building has a tank inside, along with a truck. Use the tank to take the turret down, before moving any trucks out. He might destroy your foot soldier though, so if you are going to try this, I suggest something expendable. Taking the warehouse grants a bonus of +5 materials to all buildings. This is useful, as before you had to get all your resources from either reinforcements, or from the mines, and then drive it over to your production facilities. However, it's only +5, nothing spectacular really. Still, if you had 0 trucks, at least you could use the +5 to slowly build some at the production facility located next to the enemy naval shipyard.

After you shrug off the enemy siege to your factory, you can then move up across the bridge and head towards his naval yard. Advice, bring lots of Hurricanes. The jerk commander is located on an aircraft carrier, and he loves to send regular aircraft raids on your stuff. He also has a working factory, producing units. He will use those to defend his location. Once again he loves land mines. :U

If you do manage to get up to his naval yard, there are some tricky issues to deal with. The AI of this game loves to destroy M.U.L.E. trucks, and with bombers flying around, it will be like trying to rob the bank with a swat team on your tail. Reality is, you gotta bring resources to the naval yard, build ships, and then use them as fast as possible to destroy the enemy commander. If you take too long, he sets sail and flees. If he leaves the map, you lose the mission.
« Last Edit: 2015-03-19 13:46:03 by Sphere »

Farnsi

• View Profile
Re: Challenge Map: New Hellic City
« Reply #1 on: 2015-03-07 11:47:43 »
Hope we can play it soon  :)
Aber man wird ja noch träumen dürfen, man wird noch träumen dürfen....

Sphere

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2015-03-08 09:26:08 »
Well it's been busy lately, but I have been steadily getting more and more done. Should be able to do another test run soon. Those test runs are not quick. I basically have to play the map for reals.

Sphere

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2015-03-16 11:02:48 »
I finished construction of the map in it's entirety. I will have to complete a final test run before I can release a beta.

Sphere

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2015-03-16 14:19:20 »
I am going to need half a day to play this thing through. It's real fun to play, but I have to play it for real in order to reach the third stage and play it entirely.

Sphere

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2015-03-17 07:29:02 »
I need to figure out how many turns it will take for the player to build destroyers, move them to the enemy aircraft carrier, and sink the thing. Because there needs to be a maximum number of turns, within a short time span. Thing is, the enemy aircraft carrier spawns 4 bombers regularly, and it also has destroyers guarding it.

The other thing I need to figure out, is how the score board will work. I was thinking, if you destroy an enemy you get a point, lose your own, you lose a point. Sounds reasonable?

Sphere

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2015-03-17 11:59:29 »
I have uploaded beta 1.0.
Please test it and report anything you see that is broken, or you think is broken. Also suggestions good or bad will be appreciated. Anything is better than silence. =)

I want opinions on how many turns it should take from capturing the enemy naval shipyard to the enemy aircraft carrier fleeing from the map, resulting in the player loss of mission. It needs to be tight. Just enough to do it, sink the ship, but if a player is sloppy, the enemy will flee.

Sphere

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2015-03-17 12:29:12 »
I am kinda hesitant to post pictures, because I want it to be a surprise to people. Just play it! XD
« Last Edit: 2015-03-19 13:46:17 by Sphere »

marcusbender

• View Profile
Re: Challenge Map: New Hellic City (Beta 1.0)
« Reply #8 on: 2015-03-19 08:22:59 »
Hello Sphere,

great map! I played it and had a lot of fun. The loads of enemies are really overwhelming.

After conquering the heavy tank factory north of the city a dialogue box popped up with no content (it just said 'main text' or something similar). I could not continue since it was not possible to get that box away. Maybe there is a trigger event missing?

All the best,
Marcus

Sphere

• View Profile
Re: Challenge Map: New Hellic City (Beta 1.0)
« Reply #9 on: 2015-03-19 13:38:12 »
Ah crap. Did I miss something? Lemme check that... ;w;

Yeah stupid me missed a dialogue node. Uploading beta 1.1. Also got that fix for the wrong resource in a supply truck.

Found another error. You will notice it says version 3 or something. Yeah that's me finding the error after the upload, and then fixing it asap.

BETA 1.1 UPDATE!
« Last Edit: 2015-03-19 13:59:57 by Sphere »

Sphere

• View Profile
Re: Challenge Map: New Hellic City (Beta 1.1)
« Reply #10 on: 2015-03-20 14:12:15 »
I am working on dialogue for beta 1.2. Any feedback you can provide will be deeply much appreciated. I'm sorry this means for some playing the map more than once. I just want you to know that I really appreciate you guys playing something that I made and dedicated much of my time in creating, what has been a project since last year. Your feedback is worth a lot.

Farnsi

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2015-03-21 20:10:35 »
Played it today ~7 Hours  8)

Really nice map! I can imagine how long you need with the triggers to make this scenario happen ;)

I finished without harbor... forgot the info message x-rounds before.
« Last Edit: 2015-03-21 20:14:21 by Farnsi »

Farnsi

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2015-03-22 01:26:36 »
Please add a picture (size 390 x 210).
You can use http://tinypic.com/ and upload it there, i put my map pictures there too and add the link in the mapbuilder.

Sphere

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2015-03-22 10:09:54 »
I might need to revise how many turns until strategic weapon. I might not take any turns off. It just needs to be considered.
Also found a bug with capturing the factory. Apparently it's spawning an army and triggering the bridge to open, before the city is even destroyed. Wat? But I think I will work with this bug and make it a proper feature. Will see what I can do.
Looks like I need to make the Aircraft Carrier consider ranged artillery as a consideration for leaving the map. Tricky work. But at least it's a method, and I will see about mentioning it as a suggested strategy to the player.
And it looks like I got several days worth of testing to do too.
But at least I think the dialogue is good now.
For some reason one of my turrets in the city didn't get destroyed with the city destruction. I need to figure out why.
« Last Edit: 2015-03-22 13:38:17 by Sphere »

Sphere

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2015-03-22 19:06:53 »
Please add a picture (size 390 x 210).
You can use http://tinypic.com/ and upload it there, i put my map pictures there too and add the link in the mapbuilder.
Huh?
Doesn't the map come with a picture? Because I see a picture, and you said please add a picture. Clarify?