Author Topic: BoUT2 game hanging  (Read 1722 times)

tdknox

• View Profile
BoUT2 game hanging
« on: 2015-03-22 18:17:12 »
I'm playing BoUT2 on my Mac (bought from GOG) running Yosemite. I'm at the chapter in the castle. When I try to go down the stairs, I enter a dark room and find a note with directions on how to get through the crypts safely.

However, when Wilbur finishes reading the note, the "cutscene" never ends and I just get stuck. I can't continue on or do anything because the cursor never changes back from the >| arrow.

I've attached a savegame file from just before I enter the crypt.

tdknox

• View Profile
Re: BoUT2 game hanging
« Reply #1 on: 2015-03-26 01:24:37 »
Hello? Does anyone from King Art read these? Am I wasting my time?

I am totally stuck. I cannot continue past this point.

This makes the game less than fun now.

Thorben

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2015-03-26 14:21:12 »
Hi tdknox,

please try to play this particular scene with lower graphic settings.
You might use your old settings after bypassing this scene.

Regards
Thorben

tdknox

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2015-03-27 02:07:53 »
I dropped the resolution to 1024x768 in a window with "low" graphics and tried again. It still just hangs after Wilbur reads the note. I can open the book (menu) and I can open the inventory, but I can't actually do anything at all. I'm truly stuck here.
« Last Edit: 2015-03-27 02:11:52 by tdknox »

Thorben

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2015-03-27 11:23:34 »
Just in case, please check this article:
http://www.gog.com/forum/the_book_of_unwritten_tales_series/bout2_autoupdater_did_not_work
Hopefully solves the problem, if not:

Please send our support a ticket with the description of your issue.
Add the version numer of the game as well.
https://kingartgames.freshdesk.com

Best
Thorben

mrhuss

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2015-06-26 11:27:53 »
Same here. Is there still no generic solution for this problem? The link to the forum article about the auto updater was not helpful, the auto updater is working fine.

retr0virus

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2015-10-19 12:56:36 »
I found a solution - it is really simple.

Running the DRM-free GNU/Linux version under 64bit Arch with open source AMD driver (xf86-video-ati) the error occured for me too. The BoUT2 patcher worked fine the first time I started the game (last week, patched game from 1.0.0 to 1.0.3, I had to mount parts of /tmp under another directory because while updating it needs ~9GB free space there).
I tried several graphics-settings fullscreen and windowed and bypassing the launcher but nothing worked. I downloaded the steam version, started (savegames were found automatically) and the error did not appear!
I diffed the data directories (steam has more languages) and I got an access error for one file (in the DRM-free version):
BOUT2DIR/data/episode_05/Animations/e05c02/castle_labyrinth.data - the file has no rights at all
A simple chmod u+rw BOUT2DIR/data/episode_05/Animations/e05c02/castle_labyrinth.data fixed the error.
I think the rights are missing in the mac version too...