Author Topic: Illegal downloads, cracked version, torrents and so on  (Read 24719 times)

Daddys Little Helper

• View Profile
Re: Illegal downloads, cracked version, torrents and so on
« Reply #15 on: 2011-12-07 17:34:27 »
New USA customer here, I wouldnt worry too much about the torrent site traffic, the fact that they come to your website so often would mean that its not available as a torrent.

As for DL speed, it was fast 600k or so, but unfortunately I ordered the game at the end of the day (here at work, yes shame on me :D) as I have dial up at home, wonder how many years that would take lol. Anyways I wasnt able to get it to DvD before I left. Then the next day, 3.7GB to DvD, DvD to home comp, Unzip 3.7GB file, then install, WHEW, but it was worth it for sure.

Im wishing the best for you guys, I will say, THANK YOU for not making it rough on paying customers, I really really do appreciate it, you pay good money only to jump through hoops with other products, so I sincerely hope it doesnt affect your bottom line, the argument I always make when discussing this sort of thing, is that the pirates would not have purchased the game anyways, so its hard to say how many paying customers you would lose, but I would guess it would be small.

Im not far into the game yet, but loving it so far, good luck to you

S3r1ous

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2011-12-11 18:00:13 »
1C is pretty much a monopoly there.
I think sticking with somebody independent might improve the situation.

Like Akella or Play Ten Interactive.

Unrelated:
Akella will publish probably Postal 3. You know Postal, game that was banned in like 13 countries or so.

Mandrake42

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2011-12-18 01:30:34 »
I bought the game because you ARE a small developer and I want to see a sequel, I figure the best way for that to happen is to pay for a legitimate copy. I hope at least some of those who downloaded a pirate version like it enough to decide its worth supporting.

sh4dow

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2012-02-22 16:16:12 »
You shouldn't forget that people who visit torrent-sites likely don't pirate everything. Plus, people who come to your site from torrent-sites obviously don't know what the game is about, otherwise they'd just download it (if they wanted to - because one CAN buy games AND visit torront-sites) without visiting your site. So it doesn't mean anything regarding the amount of pirated copies. Could very well be that e.g. 60% of the visitors decided not to get the game after they saw what it was about, 30% decided to buy it and 10% decided to still get it illegally.
I wouldn't be too concerned about it. Hell, I would probably more likely be concerned if my game wouldn't be popular on torrent-sites. Because if it isn't, it's obviously not liked by many and fewer people will hear about it.

Tek_

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2012-03-23 19:44:56 »
I just registered to say that I was one of the people who checked out this game via a Torrent. After playing through it I decided that the game was simply too good and too well made, and therefore made my purchase. Not all traffic from Torrent sites is necessarily bad and hopefully some of those people will come to the same conclusion that I did. Anyway, I really enjoyed the game and look forward to the next one, keep up the good work :)

FedaykinRyder

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2012-08-07 07:17:55 »
So glad that you guys made this amazing game, as someone who grew up playing point and click adventure games they are one of my favorite genres and it seems that it's rare to find one that lives up to my standards having played many of the greats multiple times throughout the years.

I bought this game the second that I had a really good feeling about it.  I'm in chapter 3 now and it certainly does not disappointing.

I hope everyone who "tried out" and enjoyed it drops a few bucks (it's not expensive), not just because you will enjoy the game even more if you payed for it, but also so the awesome people who made this game will keep making more like it, and maybe even more people will see a market for the adventure games of old.  Just remember that sales send messages!

Thanks for the great game guys!
« Last Edit: 2012-08-07 07:19:37 by FedaykinRyder »

mroz123

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2012-08-25 05:53:33 »
Software development is a very special market.
You have to realize your potentional customer base is extremely huge. You can offer your product to the whole world without any special cost. The price for this opportunity is piracy. It's simply one with another. 

QuickFragger

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2013-09-16 10:34:20 »
What to do if you have a friend that can't afford/or downloads piracy-copies anyways? I know i have some friends that doesn't see the truth in piracy so, what i did is that i bought some of the games they wanted as chrismtasgift or birthdaygifts =) Even bought this game edit: (well the book of unwritten tales, when it was available as retail) 3 times to give away as gifts and i im pritty sure all of them liked it.
« Last Edit: 2013-09-16 10:37:36 by QuickFragger »

john

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2013-11-16 02:25:22 »
very cool Fragger.  That's what's going to try to do.