Author Topic: Technical bugs and crashes  (Read 30782 times)

ughhh

• View Profile
Re: Technical bugs and crashes
« Reply #15 on: 2011-12-26 00:43:27 »
I have this error when I try to load my saved game, it loads to 98% then this happens:

I can start a new game just fine, but can't load my save.

Samething with me. Did they ever answer you? This is ridiculous! >:(

Marco Rosenberg (KING Art)

• Lord of the Word
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2011-12-26 18:25:27 »
Hi ughhh,

we do our best to help everybody with their problems in the game. Many times we do this by personal (mail) contact, so the forum isn't stuffed with dozens of posts.
I hope we can help you with your problem too, as soon as someone is back in the office after the holidays.

yizzard

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2011-12-27 11:16:06 »
I too am getting the ogre error. I have updated Direct x to no avail  and would love a solution to be posted on the forum, as I am sure are a few others as searching the web it seems to be a common problem with no suggested solution.

mortimer

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2012-01-03 01:48:51 »
Hya

First let me just say, what a great game you guys made. Second what a shame I had to stop halfway and now can't continue. Everything runs very smooth (well except for one kinda shaky cutscene) untill I start talking to the head on the pole then the game crashes to my desktop. I restarted the game several times but it keeps happening.  I have a laptop with an Intel Centrino duo processor, Nvidia Geforce GO 7300 and Windows XP. So do you guys know what causes this bug and more importantly how can I fix it?

Thanks in advance

mortimer

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2012-01-03 11:14:47 »
Oh silly me, just saw the patch thread. It worked! Thanks ever so much, now I can continue playing your amazing game!

andy

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2012-01-06 05:09:53 »
Hi ughhh,

we do our best to help everybody with their problems in the game. Many times we do this by personal (mail) contact, so the forum isn't stuffed with dozens of posts.
I hope we can help you with your problem too, as soon as someone is back in the office after the holidays.

I posted this problem at the end of November and still have not heard of a solution from the forum administrators via the forum or a personal email.  I even sent emails directly to King Arts and the Game web site reporting the problem in November before I posted here on the forum.  Very disappointing. :(

• Lord of the Word
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2012-01-06 18:53:04 »
I was in the very end of the game, in Chapter 4, when I couldn't read the crumpled note in my inventory to play the merchant's game.  I looked for bug patches, and installed Patch 1.03, because I had experienced a few bugs along the way as it was, specifically when switching characters.  I had the digital download version, but purchased from a different website.

Now that the patch is installed, I can't play the game as it's looking for a CD/DVD drive, which my computer does not have.  Can you create a way to uninstall the patch? 

error:
"No CD/DVD-ROM drive found.
Please have a look at http://www.securom.com/message.asp?m=nodrive for further, more detailed information."

Also, anyone else have that bug where they couldn't read the note?

Hi Christina,

the download version is already patched, no matter where you bought it. You have to uninstall and reinstall the game to get rid of the patch. Your savegames will remain, as far as I know, but if you want to make sure they don't get deleted accidently you can copy the folder "savegames", which you can find in one of the following folders, to a safe location and copy it back after the reinstallation:
  • Windows 7: “C:\Users\<Your username>\Documents\Book of Unwritten Tales”
  • Windows Vista: "C:\Users\<Your Username>\Documents\Book of Unwritten Tales"
  • Windows XP: “C:\Documents and Settings\<Your Username>\My Documents\Book of Unwritten Tales”
To check out the problem in the earth-pixie cave we need a savegame. Please send us the newest savegame from the folder above to support@kingart-games.com or upload it here in the forum.

DeeZaster

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2012-01-12 06:18:12 »
I came here hoping to find others that may have solved this issue (black screen then bout.exe has stopped working crash) but it looks like nobody had and the sound changes are not working for anyone.

I checked out the ogre log and noticed that everything works fine, even the openAL driver is starting up fine and then it stops dead after:

21:00:12: AL Source test successfully found 32 possible sources
21:00:13: Load savegames

To test if its saved game corruption I was thinking, I went into the savegames folder and moved all the saves completely out and to a backup folder.  Now with the folder completely empy I started up the game and it launched perfectly, absolutely no crashing what so ever now.  I'd check out the saved games on a system that does crash, like mine (I can upload them if you want) and see what is causing the problem and work with a backing up system in a future patch, if this is the case.

Hope that helps some other peoples issues.

EDIT:
Upon looking at the saved files, my _autosave.ksg was well under half the size of my previously last saved game so that had to be the culprit.  Moving back all my saves but for the autosave file and I'm back in action to where I last left the game.
« Last Edit: 2012-01-12 06:23:29 by DeeZaster »

• Lord of the Word
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2012-01-12 13:01:19 »
Thanks for the Detailed report, DeeZaster.

Could you please send a detailed description at which point exactly the crash took place (during the startup of the game, after klicking on the autosave or "continue game" button, ...) to support@kingart-games.com?
Also, could you send us your system details from dxdiag? Run dxdiag.exe from the start button. Choose all registers and run all offered tests. After all tests have passed save the result to the text file “dxdiag.txt”.

Thanks in advance!

yizzard

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2012-01-30 21:24:15 »
OK I seem to be getting every technical bug this game is capable of running. First it wouldnt load and I got the OGRE error message. Solved that problem by getting a new motherboard, wiping computer and updating to Windows 7.

Then all the way through parts of the graphics have had the texture missing so in each screen I have a whole section of white shadowy graphic.

Now when Wilbur gets to shrink and go down the rat/drain hole the game simply crashes and shuts down - I think there might be another OGRE error message but it shuts down before I have chance to read it.

Its the boxed version of the game so I tried installing the patch but if I do that the game crashes at the point the elf enters the gremlin's house so I had to uninstall and re-install the whole game to get past that.

I think I would love the game but it is just so frustrating and now I cant get any further than half way through chapter 2.

Please.... HELP!!!

feistyfawn

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 2012-02-19 21:48:36 »
Hello

Just bought the game and it seems fantastic! However, I'm having issues with all background animations being blurry. It starts directly when I start the game with the King Art logo. From then on, everything moving in the background is messed up, like fires and the spinning satallite dish.

Is this a known issues? How to fix it?

System:
Windows 7 x64
ATI HD6950

Thanks for your help.

• Lord of the Word
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2012-02-20 14:58:22 »
yizzards problem has been solved a while ago. Anyone with a similar problem, please contact me at support@kingart-games.com

@feistyfawn: That's an issue we havn't heard of before. Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the game? Please send me a screenshot with a blurry animation to the above adress.

andy

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2012-02-22 04:33:08 »
Ogre Exception error problem.  For those who have run into this:

Apparently the problem lies with the 950GM chip type from the 945 Express chip family.  It is running pixel shader 2.0 while pixel shader 4.0 is need to make the Ogre Execption go away.  For those of us stuck with this chip set in a laptop, it means the upgrade is to a newer computer. 

Solution provided by Lace Mamba tech support guru: Damian

I am still really excited about this game.

• Lord of the Word
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2012-02-22 11:02:33 »
Ogre Exception error problem.  For those who have run into this:

Apparently the problem lies with the 950GM chip type from the 945 Express chip family.  It is running pixel shader 2.0 while pixel shader 4.0 is need to make the Ogre Execption go away.  For those of us stuck with this chip set in a laptop, it means the upgrade is to a newer computer. 

For people with those kind of graphics problems, we've been working on a fix. I've included it in the attachment to this post. Instructions how to install it can be found in the textfile that comes with the fix.
Please tell us if it worked for you or not.

darktriad

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2012-02-24 01:40:04 »
The fix for intel graphics works great! Now I can play the game I purchased several weeks ago!