Author Topic: Start script for the demo is Ubuntu only  (Read 2685 times)

z0id

• View Profile
Start script for the demo is Ubuntu only
« on: 2012-12-10 14:28:23 »
This is basically a repost from newbielink:http://steamcommunity.com/app/221410/discussions/3/846939071355731415/ [nonactive]
Code: newbielink:javascript:void(0); [nonactive]
#!/bin/bash
EXE_NAME=kAGE
BASE_BIN_PATH=./bin
BASE_LIB_PATH=~/.steam/bin/:./lib
BITS=32

DEPENDENCE=ia32-libs

SYSTEM_ARCH=`arch`

if [ $SYSTEM_ARCH == x86_64 ]; then
if [ `dpkg -l | grep -c $DEPENDENCE` == 0 ]; then
if [ ! `gksudo -m "BoUT wants to install dependence: '$DEPENDENCE'" /bin/bash ./bin/64/install.sh $DEPENDENCE` ]; then
exit 1
fi
fi
elif [ $SYSTEM_ARCH == i386 ]; then
BITS=32
fi

#run kAGE
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$BASE_LIB_PATH/$BITS/:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH $BASE_BIN_PATH/$BITS/$EXE_NAME

This is just wrong, which makes me think/hope it's just temporary. There's no need to automatically install ia32-libs; any user who runs Steam on 64bit knows he has to install that package and it's obvious not everyone has dpkg. Also, I haven't seen any other distro other than Ubuntu to have 'arch' as an executable; still wondering why they did that instead of 'uname -m'.
I know Steam beta is focused on Ubuntu, but it's not supposed to run only on Ubuntu; it also has other distros listed in game requirements.

Now, since I'm at it, I'd like to say that I played BoUT and, unlike other adventure games I tried (hint: Monkey Island) it had puzzles that actually made sense. Great game!

Cheers!

STiAT

• View Profile
Re: Start script for the demo is Ubuntu only
« Reply #1 on: 2013-01-24 20:23:57 »
Even worse, steam wanted i think gksu to be installed for that. I don't have that one, and was wondering for a long time why the game does not start (no error message at all, just not starting) :).