Author Topic: Illegal downloads, cracked version, torrents and so on  (Read 24648 times)

Jan Theysen (KING Art)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
For a developer it is sad to see that only one day after the release of a game 50% of the web-site visitors come from warez and torrent sites. We know that we can't do anything about it technologically and we won't try, because we don't want to hurt honest buyers.

If you are somebody who thinks about downloading an illegal copy, please consider: We are not a big publisher or corporation. We are a small indie developer with less than a dozen employers. The Book of Unwritten Tales is our only product. We can't compensate losses with other game sales. So if you like the game, please buy it. It's the only way we could continue making games like that.

You can buy the game on our site. It is twice as long as many other adventure games (about 20 hours) and costs less than most. So please support a fair relationship between gamers and developers.
« Last Edit: 2011-10-30 12:41:19 by Marco Rosenberg (KING Art) »

Giuseppe

• View Profile
Re: Illegal downloads, cracked version, torrents and so on
« Reply #1 on: 2011-10-30 20:08:01 »
Piracy is a tragedy. Have not yet understood that in this way the developers will not have money for other projects.

MarkuzR

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2011-10-31 16:29:34 »
Such a shame.  I don't own any non-legit games although, admittedly, when I was younger (like 20+ years ago) I didn't really understand the ramifications and ended up with some copied games.  Piracy is bad enough, but pirating a game from a developer who relies on every single purchase to allow them to continue... especially when you're talking about games that are around a half or even a THIRD of the cost of most retail games these days... it's disgusting.

Chris_Toffer

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2011-10-31 16:56:22 »
I've never been in a position to be offered or need to pirate a game. When you look at how the larger companies are responding with things such as DRM it only punishes the honest. With smaller indie developers every purchase is crucial. It's so vital that the community at large, supports smaller companies who need the money for the next product.

Azakias

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2011-11-01 23:56:19 »
For what it's worth, I was referred to the game by a family member and just paid my dues.

The only thing I would ask is a faster download package - though perhaps it's my system. A game that is nearly four gig is rather massive for a point and click and I am anxious to play it.

Good luck with the purchase issues. Pirating is a self-destruct on the industry.

Jan Theysen (KING Art)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2011-11-02 09:03:27 »
Hi Azakias,

How fast was your download? Some buyers experience problems there and we couldn't figure out the problem yet. Some got 2.5MB/s, most people somewhat between 500-800KB/s but some got lousy 100KB/s or anything like that.

@All if you got a very low rate please restart the download. As I said we couldn't identify the problem yet but it seems like restarting might help.

Azakias

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2011-11-02 12:15:58 »
Hey,

My download speed was fine. I was going strong at about 650-700. It's just such a very large file, is all.

I was close to an hour and a half before it was through, but I made it.

Jan Theysen (KING Art)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2011-11-02 14:16:29 »
My download speed was fine. I was going strong at about 650-700. It's just such a very large file, is all.

Ah, ok. I see. Well, it's a big game! ;-)

Dursul

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2011-11-03 22:19:50 »
Don't bother regarding illegal copies, there is nothing you can do.

You already did the most important thing against the piracy: you made a wonderful game and people who love video games are going to buy it, and we all are going to recommend our friends to buy this piece of art.

Theron

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2011-11-04 12:12:58 »
Don't bother regarding illegal copies, there is nothing you can do.

You already did the most important thing against the piracy: you made a wonderful game and people who love video games are going to buy it, and we all are going to recommend our friends to buy this piece of art.

I agree completely, and we italians would like to help by buying this masterpiece, but IF and ONLY if it is fully localized in Italian (speech included), I do not buy a game made for other nations.
Let our voice actors work and you will be rewarded!
The Italian one is a market of 60 million people, if you ignored it the worse for you.
« Last Edit: 2011-11-04 12:19:45 by Theron »

baisunas

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2011-11-05 19:19:49 »
Hi,

congrats on great game! But god damn make some internet cheking policy for pirates - such perfect game series just cant be let to die! I hope all mine friends are going to buy it and keep on adding more localisations in future, like russian, french, italian and so on... Rock on guys!  I wish you very well and making this title a great success. Keep us fans informed how are you doing in the mean time :)

TopoGigio

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2011-11-07 09:57:29 »
Hi, I have just ordered my copy on ebay  :), I am so happy, thank you for your great work !

greetings from Croatia

trynoval

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2011-11-08 07:13:52 »
I'm the one from torrent site.
Yesterday evening I just randomly looking for a new games - and eye stopped on your game.
Game(german version) was already here with fun-translation more than a year.
In the beginning game looks a bit strange, cause of elf char, but with story running it became ok.
I'm having amazing feelings from game. It's absolutely masterpiece. I feel as I on absolutely new journey to Kyrandy, Discworld, Middle-Earth. Put in game problem with peoples who don't make difference between dwarfs and gnomes feels tasty and fun.
And I like too much how game give you new an fresh all the way. Like absolutely different player characters, then suddenly you command a party. Same time gameplay changes. All this making great atmosphere of game world discovery. Not the linear gameplay, when you know what will you do. I sense magic.
I'd like to have information from first hands: is there any drm in digital version? Any, like online registration during the installation? If yes, is there any chance that it will be removed in future?
Any way, I'm going today to put money on my credit card and buy the game.

P.S. English localisation of game is excellent. If one day you'll going to make russian localisation, if you want good one, don't trust the process to the publisher, especially 1C company - bad disgusting quality. Also they demands game-broking DRM(Witcher 2 story for example),  exclusive rights to publish in Russia(for ex. Bethesda-Steam-1C confrontation, cause of what there is no Bethesda's games in Russian Steam).

Jan Theysen (KING Art)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2011-11-08 08:27:43 »
Hi trynoval,

There isn't only "one" from a torrent site, there were a couple of thousand in the last days. But good to see that at least some are willing to pay for the game.

When you buy a game you’ll get a serial number. This number you have to enter once after the installation. You can re-install the game as often as you like and you can install it on different PCs.

We talked to some Russian publishers but didn't get proper offers. What do you think? Which Russian publisher does the best job localizing and publishing games like BoUT?
« Last Edit: 2011-11-08 08:29:14 by Jan Theysen (KING Art) »

Dursul

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2011-11-13 22:36:20 »
If you have in mind to give a try to the spanish market I recommend you to contact with FX Interactive, best publishing company around here with competitive prices and they really make good translations.